Its cold outside! You might have a cold! How about something savory, nice and cozy to sip or slowly spoon in? Easy to make and nutritious. Your body will thank you.
This is for one serving, can easily be doubled. Depending on how I’m feeling I’ll add more ginger and coconut aminos as it’s a really flexible recipe.
- 2 cups chicken stock – hold back 1 tablespoon
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 teaspoon coconut aminos
- ½ tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 beaten egg – I find that using something that has pouring lip to work the best when adding the egg to stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste – Esthetically white pepper is the best but if it’s for me or friends? Whatever I have on hand but I really love the added spice of Szechuan peppercorns!
- 1 thinly sliced scallion
Bring the stock, grated ginger and coconut aminos to a boil. In a small container blend the 1 tablespoon of stock and ½ tablespoon of tapioca starch together. Slowly pour into the stock while stirring the stock until thickened. This will happen pretty quickly. Reduce the heat to simmer. Now stir the stock while slowly pouring the beaten egg in. It will start to spread out into nice shreds and ribbons, think “feathering.” Take off the heat.
Pour the soup into a big bowl, add the scallion, enjoy!
Note: If you like sesame oil and chili garlic sauce little drops on top are fantastic additions!